Network security is crucial for any business operating in the 21st century. No matter what industry you're in, your success depends on the security and integrity of your network and internal data. Yet many companies do not know what to look for or expect from good security network services. Here are five essentials that we at Solutions II offer, which we believe are essential for any security solutions provider:
- A clear data security plan and leadership – All good security network services begin with a clear plan. Your company's information security plan should reflect company priorities, institutional capabilities, and the latest best practices. Usually plans are made by leadership with input from IT and the collaboration of a provider specializing in security network solutions. The plan includes not only key policies, but also a clear chain of command that shows who is responsible for information security and who has access to secure information.
- Up-to-date cyber security measures – By following your plan, your company's technological security measures can then be evaluated. A large part of this process involves assessing risk, both in terms of security weaknesses in the existing system and liability for the potential breach of sensitive information. Custom solutions can then be implemented, including internal policies, mobile device security and management, SIEM and SSL security layers, and firewalls to protect data. This step is the "wall" that makes life hard for hackers who want to steal or sabotage your information.
- Well-trained staff – The policies created above will not be fully effective unless staff understand and follow them. Many network security breaches happen not because of malicious external activity, but because of human error within the organization. Training staff and making policies easy to implement is key to any network security solution.
- A robust backup – In the event that data is compromised, a backup is going to be your lifeboat. An effective backup will be carefully designed to include all of your company's data, essentially allowing you to restore everything you have if it is lost. It should be contained at an offsite location and completely isolated from your company's day-to-day network, and it should be updated regularly.
- Customized restore options – If you do need to restore data from a backup after a major security breach, it's important that you can access the most important information first. Your backup and restore options should be customizable, based on your priorities.
What else do you look for in a security network service? Call or contact us at Solutions II with any questions about our many service offerings.